On 14th June Sir Bishwajit Mishra conducted a session on HIV AIDS to make the students of Don Bosco Tech Barasat Centre to become aware of it. First he explained about Human immunodeficiency virus infection and acquired immune deficiency syndrome (HIV/AIDS).
He explained in detail how it occurs. Following initial infection, a person may not notice any symptoms or may experience a brief period of influenza-like illness. Typically, this is followed by a prolonged period with no symptoms.As the infection progresses, it interferes more with the immune system, increasing the risk of common infections like tuberculosis, as well as other opportunistic infections, and tumours that rarely affect people who have working immune systems.These late symptoms of infection are referred to as AIDS. This stage is often also associated with weight loss.
After that He mentioned the reason of HIV. HIV infection is spread from person to person when human blood and sexual fluids (semen and vaginal secretions) are shared. HIV can be transmitted through:
- Unprotected sexual intercourse (vaginal, anal or oral*)
- Transfusion of contaminated blood
- Sharing of contaminated needles used for injectable drugs
- Sharing infected needles for tattoos and body piercing
- Oral sex (the risk is small, though)
- From HIV infected mother to her child during pregnancy, child birth or breast feeding
Then he showed a video on HIV AIDS. Over there everything the reason, effect of HIV AIDS was clearly mentioned. At the end he cautioned the students who are going work in hotel industry to be careful and aware.